Riding Waves by Susan Marie Schulhof Dec 13,2014




   After we get our ice cream, we push a couple of tables together. I get coffee flavor with chunks of chocolate, and Ashley gets bubblegum ice cream. Everyone in my family just talks over each other. Most people just sit and wait for a pause to talk, but Ashley has been around my family long enough that she just jumps into the conversation.
   “The valedictorian’s speech was so boring,” Ashley says.
   “No it wasn’t,” says my mom with a chuckle, “So University of Evansville this fall Ashley?”
   “Yes, but it doesn’t seem real yet.”
   “When is orientation?” my dad chimes in.
   “Sometime in July when we get back from our family reunion in Georgia.”
   “Is your whole family going?”
   “Yes. My mom said that we all must go, no if, ands or buts about it!” Ashley says with a laugh, imitating her mom’s voice.
   “That will be nice.”
    “Can I go with them?” I ask even though I wasn’t invited.
   “Yes! You must Harper. I don’t know how I will survive almost two weeks without you.”
   “No is the answer, and you both know it. Somehow you will both survive only being able to talk and text on your cell phones,” my mom jokes.
   “Fine. I’ll be busy starting set crew on the play anyway,” I agree.
   “What is the play this year?” Ava asks.
   “Sound of Music. I should have tried out. I would have been a good nun," I joke.
  After we talk more about who was cast in the play and where all of our friends are going to college, we stand up to leave.
   “So what are you guys doing tonight?” my brother asks both of us, as we walk out of the ice cream place.
   “A bonfire at Mary’s,” Ashley and I both say together and then laugh since we said it in unison.
   “Well have fun and be home by curfew,” my mom says as I hug her, my dad, my brother and my sisters.
   “I still have a curfew?”
   “We talked about this, Harper. I won’t be able to sleep until you get home,” my mom explains.
   “I know. I know. Just asking. I love you all. Thanks for coming to my graduation.”
   “Thanks for the ice cream,” Ashley adds as we get into my mom’s car to head to Mary’s.
   Since we were wearing dresses for graduation, we change into jeans when we get there. Even though it is June, it is a little cool out tonight. Mary’s house is small but on a lot of land. The bonfire pit is made of red bricks and has it’s own built in area by the back porch with chairs and tables. She invited a lot of people but only twelve people came, probably because her parents will be home so everyone knows that there won’t be any alcohol. Ashley drinks sometimes, but I never really do, only sips here and there. My parents rarely drink at home, except at our annual Christmas party, so I guess it is not something that I am used to. I know that my brother drinks, and I am sure that I will drink when I get older, but I just have fun hanging out with my friends. I have heard some of the stuff my friends did when they were drinking, so I don’t know if I should really ever drink.
    When the conversation changes to where everyone is going to college, I head inside to the bathroom. As I come back out, I see Mike walking in. Mike is tall and thin with blond hair. He is around our group most of the time, but he is pretty quiet, so I don’t know him that well.
  “Hi Harper,” after a pause he continues, “I am going to Layton Community College too. Maybe I will see you there.”
   “Yeah. Maybe we will have a class together,” I say, knowing that they must have been talking about me for Mike to know where I was going. I don’t mind going there really. It will help my parents out since they do have four kids to put through college, and I am glad if I can save them some money.
   “That’d be cool.”
   “I’ll see you back outside in a minute,” I say as I head back to the bonfire.
   We decide to find sticks and roast marshmallows as we reminisce about high school. I start to worry about my future again as I listen to everyone talk about the past.
   “Remember when Max got kicked out of the football game because he was so drunk?”
   “Maybe if he wasn’t dancing in the bleachers, no one would have known he was drunk.”
   “True. What about senior ditch day when we went on his boat?”
   “Luckily, he wasn’t drunk or singing that day!”
    After a few more stories about high school, I say, “I need to head home everyone.” Ashley doesn’t have a curfew so she is getting a different ride home later.
   “Are you sure that you don’t want me to leave with you?”
   “No. It’s my parents that are strict. Not yours, Ashley.”
   “I know; I just feel bad.”
   “Don’t feel bad. Have fun and call me tomorrow to tell me what I missed,” I say as I hug her goodbye.
   All of the lights are off when I pull into the garage. They probably wouldn’t have even known if I was late.
   Thoughts swirl through my mind as I try to fall asleep. I am so nervous and excited about the future but also anxious for it to just start. After lying in bed thinking for 20 minutes, I get up and decide to write in my journal. Maybe this will calm down my fear of the unknown.

Dear Future Self,
   Tonight was your high school graduation. I hope that you are reading this in 2016, a year after your college graduation. My prediction is that after two years at the community college, you will go to UE. You will love college and graduate with honors. I think that you will major in English or maybe even Psychology. During college or right after, you will meet a man that you will love like crazy. He will be smart, caring and passionate about his work. He will love to travel, want two kids and love you a lot. You will get engaged a few years after you graduate because first you need to establish yourself in your career. You will continue to write poems and draw and maybe even run a 5K. You will be close to your family still, but you will get an apartment on your own or with Ashley before settling down, getting married and starting a family. You will be happy, successful and love your life!
Love,
Me

   I can finally fall asleep with that future life in my thoughts. As I drift off, I think that even though I am scared, this has been a great day.






Comments