Riding Waves by Susan Marie Schulhof December 12, 2014

   

The e-book is for sale at iBook, Amazon, Barnes and Noble and more!
http://www.amazon.com/Riding-Waves-Susan-Marie-Schulhof-ebook/dp/B00LQABJLW/ref=la_B00IBPFHV8_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1409801829&sr=1-1

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/riding-waves/id898142854?mt=11

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/riding-waves-susan-marie-schulhof/1119940881?ean=9781483531601

As I sit back in my seat and watch the rest of my classmates receive their diplomas, I reflect on my past as well as on my future. Should I have tried out for the play without Ashley? Will I enjoy being on the tech crew? How can I help and inspire others? Do I want to become a teacher? Would I be happy as a teacher? What would I want to teach? What age group? Since I didn’t love high school, would I want to teach that? Will I have kids of my own? Who will I marry? When will I fall in love? And what will he be like?
     My life is not perfect, but I am happy most days. I have gone on dates and liked different guys in high school, but I have never really been in love yet. There are so many things that I enjoy doing and want to try in this lifetime. I love tennis, running and riding my bike. I have also drawn pictures since I was a little girl, and I recently started painting with watercolors. I have taken art classes all through high school and absolutely loved the acting class that I took just this year. Writing poems has always been a passion of mine, as well, and the creative writing class that I took sophomore year when I first met Mrs. Ryan was my favorite class in all of high school.
    I remember how nervous I was to take the class, but my mom encouraged me to try it. She knows that I love to write, but that I am very unsure of the words that I write. I felt a fondness for Mrs. Ryan from the first day. She is so compassionate and encouraging. She was the reason that I started volunteering after school in the writing lab to help other students. As nervous as I am about expressing myself and sharing it with others, I am very confident of my understanding of grammar, structure and spelling. I thought that it would be great to help others, but in the end it really helped me. Maybe I don’t need to figure it all out today since I start out in college just taking the general education classes the first two years. My mom went back to work as a nurse just this year, and my dad does love his job in sales. I cannot imagine doing either of those, although they both seem to enjoy them. I am not worried about doing well in my classes at college since I have always studied hard, and I did well in high school. I just worry about the future, and I feel so unsure of where my life is headed.
   I realize suddenly that everyone is clapping and standing up. The graduation ceremony is over, and I am officially a high school graduate. As I walk out into the lobby, I look around for my family.
   “Mom, Dad,” I yell as I get near them.
   “Congratulations Harper,” My twin sisters, Ava and Sara, yell as they hug me.
   “Want to see if Ashley’s family wants to go out for ice cream with us?” my mom asks.
  “I will ask her when I see her.”
  “Here she comes,” adds my brother, Jake.
  “Harper! We did it. We really graduated,” she says with a grin.
   “Does your family want to go out for ice cream with us?” I ask, although I know that only her parents came to the ceremony.
   “No. They went back to the restaurant,” she replies, like she doesn’t care, but I know that it bothers her that they are so busy with the restaurant all of the time. She often tells me how lucky I am that my parents and siblings always come to everything. We are a close family, and somehow it is just understood that the whole family would come to my graduation. My parents can be strict, and that drives me crazy sometimes, but I am glad that they love and support me so much.
    Ashley and I take pictures together and with our other friends, Mary and Laura. The four of us went to prom together as a group since none of us have boyfriends. Mary and Laura date a lot of guys but no one serious right now. I know that Mary was told that a couple of guys wanted to ask her to prom, but she wasn’t interested in them. Probably if Ashley, Laura and I had dates, she would have said yes to one of them. We all had the best time though, laughing and dancing together. My red dress was short and a little tight; I felt like an adult that night being so dressed up. The four of us met at my house and did each other’s hair and make up before going. Girls will go as a group to prom, but most guys will only go if they have a date, so there were very few single guys there. A couple of our other friends had dates, and they kept saying how boring prom was, but we had so much fun together.
    Ashley and I leave to meet my family for ice cream after we turn in our graduation caps and gowns and promise everyone that we will stay in touch.
   “I wish we were going to the same college, Harper. We would have so much fun.”
   “I’ll be there in two years,” I promise.
   “I know but I am going to miss you.”
   “Let’s not talk about that tonight. We will have all summer once you get back from your family reunion. When are you leaving for that by the way?” I ask.   
   Ashley’s family is driving down to Georgia for a family reunion in a couple of weeks, so she will be gone when rehearsals start. Since she couldn’t take a part in the play if she got one, and we wanted to try out together to give each other moral support, we will try out together next year and be part of the set this year. She is allowed to miss some of those days and still be part of the crew, just not the cast. Maybe I should have just tried out on my own, but I think we will have fun on the crew together before she leaves for college this fall.
   “Two weeks.”
   “I can’t believe your whole family is going,” I say because they hardly ever do anything as a family. She is excited but nervous about the trip, she told me just yesterday.

   “I know. Me either. There are your parents,” she says as we pull into the parking lot.

Comments