Suppression...coming soon


.

...I am happy to be alive when I see the waves wash upon the shore, when I see the colors in the sky, when the rain falls slowly on a warm afternoon. It does not cost me anything to experience these gifts, and I do not need to travel to far lands or perform great feats to see this beauty. I only need to stop and notice the beauty that is all around me. I have come to understand that the joy that I experience does not come from the beauty that I see, but from the beauty that I feel, the beauty of a simple joy.

    “You,” she whispers again.
    “Oh Grandma. This was from your Grandma Sarah. Isn’t it?”
   She nods yes as I say, “It was written before the war, and you still have it and now you want me to have it?”
   She smiles and then closes her eyes.
   “Thank you Grandma. I will keep it safe. It is the best graduation gift that you could have given me.”

I read it one more time and put it in my purse. I am not sure where I can put it to keep it safe, but I will find a spot. After I am sure that she has fallen asleep, I turn off the light and head for the train home.

Comments