What do you really want?


    How do we know what our deepest desires are? I was at an event where the speaker asked us, "If God asked you right now what you want, what would you say?" At first I thought that was an easy question, but then I realized a few things. First off, what I want has changed over the years. Before my children were born, I would have begged for children and a family. Then once I was a mother, I probably would have asked God for just a little time for myself, just to go for a run or read a book. So now as I get older and my daughters are in college and graduating, what would I ask for today? Which brings me to my next thought. Would my request need to be solely for me? Everyone has their own free will and choices, so can I ask for happiness and joy for my daughters? What if my choices for them aren't their choices for themselves. Could I ask God for what I want for them? If I need to ask just for myself, what would I say? I would like to pursue my dreams, but specifically what are those dreams. 

My life goals in 2013 were:
1. Write and publish a fiction book
2. Travel and hike
  -Grand Canyon
  -Yellowstone
  -Italy
  -Australia
3. Inspire, mentor and/or teach others

   I wrote and published a book called Riding Waves in 2014, as well as went to the Grand Canyon that year, so once again, "If God asked me right now what would I say?" Would my answer be that I want to sell more books and have success? Really? Would that be my answer to God? Then the next question that comes to mind is "What was my motive for writing them?" Is money the reason I wrote them? No. Why do I want to sell books? Why do I want to have success in my career? Money does come to mind, but that is not all. Sure I would like to pay my bills, have a little money to travel and to save a little for the future. All things that I can't do right now. But what motivates me to write? Books have been an escape for me; they have been entertainment; they have taught and educated me, but they have also helped and guided me. Books and words make me think, make me feel and make me dream. In writing my books, I wanted to express myself, but really I wanted my words to touch others, so my answer to God would be: I want to reach, help, inspire and give hope to others by any means that I can, maybe my books can be the way.




Comments