Words can be powerful


Nelson Mandela said, “No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.” 

Words can be powerful, but so can our thoughts. Most of the spiritual books that I have read discuss how powerful one's thoughts and intentions are. We create our experience of the world based on how we think about it. What are you thinking? How are you responding? What are you creating? Is your intention positive or negative?

We all know that hitting someone and calling names can hurt, but intentions and thoughts can hurt others as well as we damage ourselves. When you hate others, you bring that onto yourself. When you are negative, you draw more negativity in your life.

There are countless songs like the one by Sister Hazel that sing, "If you want to be somebody else, change your mind." Not change your circumstance, not change your words and not change someone else. Even movies and books, people constantly focus on trying to change others. When you try to change others, you bring that onto yourself.

I even spent years praying that people I cared about would change, and was constantly disappointed. Relationships can indeed be the catalyst for change, but the decision, the intention and the thought must come from within that own person. The only person that I have the power to change is myself. If I want love and peace in my life, I must give that to others in my thoughts, my words and my actions.

All through my day, no matter where I go, or what I do, I am always looking for the good. I try to find the good in people, in the world, in my life or even just in my day.
Learn more about my books HERE
Follow me Susan on Twitter

http://www.chicagonow.com/look-good/2016/11/words-can-be-powerful/

Comments