Everything I own in a box

A year ago, I was working two jobs in order to pay my bills and was just barely able to make my ends meet. I don’t live an extravagant life, but it was difficult to provide a home for my three college age daughters once the child support ended. That could be another article on the challenges of being a single mother though since after my divorce, the four of us lived in two-bedroom apartment for the next eleven years. Today though I want to explore the decision to put everything you own into a storage space and ask another person for help. Eight months ago, I put all of my belonging in a storage unit and moved in with my mother. Before I was able to get a second job, I got into debt simply by charging groceries and miscellaneous other necessities. I was so grateful when I found a part time job to supplement my fulltime job; however it didn’t take much time before I began to spiral into despair, seeing no end in sight to this new life that gave me little time for writing, hiking, painting or even seeing my daughters that my soul desperately needed. I had a decision to make. Do I continue on this path with no end in sight or do I swallow my pride and ask for help? After much prayer and conversations with my mother, I decided to move in with her and figure out how to get out of debt and live within these new “means”. The next step was determining what to keep and what to get rid of. This was almost as hard as asking for help was. How do I get rid of the children’s beds? Although one was in college and the other two had graduated and were making a life for themselves, it was hard not to have a place for them to come home to, but I focused on the idea that I didn’t want to be a burden to them later in life so I needed to get my life and finances in order. I am still on this path, but I am taking steps to increase my income and to get out of debt. It was very difficult to give things away and put most of my belongings into storage. There have been and continue to be many tears, but it has helped me focus on the future. I now have fewer things to hold onto, and have been able to simplify my life. I am more grateful for everything and everyone in my life, and can see blessings in the little things. Having my life in a box is a journey, and I am learning to live it as best as I can. As originally seen at http://www.chicagonow.com/look-good/2017/03/everything-i-own-in-a-box/ All through my day, no matter where I go, or what I do, I am always looking for the good. I try to find the good in people, in the world, in my life or even just in my day.

Comments