Compliments are free

   

    How true are Mark Twain's words, "I can live for two months on a good compliment"? When I started out as an early childhood educator in 2001, my Director was very knowledgeable and taught me well. In fact, I often hear her words in my head as I perform my job of taking care of infants. Like I said, she really knew her stuff, but she never complimented me. She felt that as working adults we should not need to hear praise from her. Fast forward a few years, to another Director I worked for. She would leave notes occasionally in the room complimenting something we did, or put a note in my mailbox saying she appreciated how hard I worked. She even now, keeps me in her thoughts when new opportunities for growth in this field come up because she knows and acknowledges how dedicated I am to Bright Horizons. Of course, I was a hard worker with the first Director, but which Director helped me to grow and be all that I can be? Which Director made me proud of the job that I do? Which Director made me want to go above and beyond? I am not a believer of false or excessive praise, but why not compliment your children, your parents, your co-worker, your spouse when they do something well. Perhaps they too can live for two months on a good compliment!

Read my words and see my quotes at
http://susanmarieschulhof.blogspot.com

Comments