Both listening as well as talking are important


     "Never fail to know that if you are doing all of the talking, you are boring somebody." 
                                                    -Helen Gurley Brown
   I have written a number of posts discussing the importance of listening; to yourself, to others and even listening to the sounds all around us. What about the value of talking? Whenever I hear about two friends or two people in a loving relationship claim that they never fight, my first thought is "But do they talk?" Do they share their thoughts and ideas with each other? If one or both simply do not say the things that bother them, that is not a healthy relationship. One person doing all of the talking is not healthy either. I got divorced after only 11 years of marriage so others may think that I am not in a position to give others relationship advice, but I think that the failure of my marriage has made me look closer at the dynamics of a good relationship. I read books and articles as well as watch TV shows, always searching for answers of what makes a strong relationship with your spouse, parent, children or co-worker. One thing that I have learned is that both listening as well as talking are important.
Read my words and see my quotes at

or follow my page at


Comments