Measure of a life

 


Would you make different choices if you knew the exact length of your life? A couple of nights ago, I finished reading a book called The Measure by Nikki Erlick. It was about a day when everyone in the world received a box that contained a string that tells how long your life will be. As I was in bed trying to fall asleep, I kept thinking about the choices I have made and the dreams I have followed. If I knew my life was going to end when I was younger, would those decisions have been the same. What about now? I turned 58 this year after getting my masters degree and buying my first home on my own. In 2019, I started a new job and also continued writing and publishing my third book in 2021. I still have more dreams and plans for the future, but what if I knew I only had a couple years left? Would I keep striving and reaching or would I be content with my accomplishments and maybe just spend the time with my family and friends?  How do you measure a life? Is it measured by the length or by the quality of that life? 

·      I have great memories as a mother with my kids, but I hope for more.

·      I have traveled, but there are more places I want to see.

·      I have been in love, but I still would love to fall in love again.

·      I have wonderful times with friends and family, but I welcome many more.

·      I have reached many of my goals and dreams, yet I have more.

For me, the measure of my life is a combination of quantity and quality as I reflect on the past, present, and future. I would like many more years, but only if they are filled with purpose and meaning.

 

Check out my books here 

iBooks

Kindle

Nook

Paperback


Follow me on Twitter @SchulhofSusan and TikTok @susan_marie9

Comments