Decide to be happy



     Guillaume Apollinaire was a french poet and writer who was born in 1880. He was quoted as saying, "Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy." What do I need and want in the 21st century to be happy? Quite often, I think to myself that my life would be much better if I could just win the lottery and have more money. More money to travel, to have money in the bank, to wear the latest styles and buy the latest technological gadgets and gizmos. Would all of that make me happy? Perhaps, or perhaps I would just keep wanting more and more, never quite feeling that elusive feeling of happiness that I am seeking. I can justify that having more money would give me security in the future, but there is no guarantee that I will be here "in the future". Or I could explain that then I can give my children more, but sometimes those given money without working for it, never feel the pride and sense of self that comes with achieving it on your own. What would happen if I could do as Guillaume states and "just be happy", just decide that my state of mind will not be contingent on outside forces? I can decide to be happy even if there is no outward change in my life.

Read my words and see my quotes at
http://susanmarieschulhof.blogspot.com

Comments