Find ways to show compassion in our jaded world


      Norman Cousins said, "The individual is capable of both great compassion and great indifference." When I started volunteering at WINGS years ago, I attended a two hour training to understand the women and children staying in the home that I would be volunteering at. As I saw the slide show and listened to the woman speak, I realized that if it had not been for my mother's help, I could have found myself homeless and without a job when I got divorced in 2001. Even though I had a Bachelor's Degree in Psychology, I had not worked in 9 years plus my daughters were only 5, 7 and 9 at the time. I had no money saved and received very little child support. I learned that these women were not on drugs or trying to get free food and shelter. They did not have anyone to help them watch their children; they did not have the money to buy a car to be able to drive to a job. It was a vicious cycle of lacking causing more lacking. In a world where we hear story after story of how people are working the welfare system or how the people on the street begging are not really poor, it is easy to become jaded and act indifferent. Find a way to show compassion to others. Volunteering gave me a new understanding and compassion for those in need. 

Read my words and see my quotes at
http://susanmarieschulhof.blogspot.com

Comments