Even when I don't have a lot, I give a little or I give my time to help others


     Calvin Coolidge said, "No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave." Even though we moved to Barrington, when I first got divorced, we had very little money. I struggled to fit in and to help my daughters understand that even though they felt poor in a privileged community, we had a lot more than many others. Through my work, I found a woman's shelter that my daughters and I could volunteer at. Even though they were not even teenagers, they attended a two hour training so that they were prepared to supervise and play with the children living in this shelter as their mothers attended meetings on site. This was one of the most important gifts that I could have given to my children. In addition to realizing how lucky and privileged we really were, we also loved giving of ourselves and our time to help others in need. Now years later, even though I still would like to make the time to volunteer more often,  I donate $1.00 of each of my Fun4Babies paperback book sales to BH foundation which helps this same center. Joy was the reward for what we gave. What do you receive in return for your giving?

Read my words and see my quotes at

Comments