Look and listen to the world all around you

    "Nothing we use or hear or touch can be expressed in words that equal what we are given by the senses," as stated by Hannah Arendt. She died in 1975 after writing and publishing many books. I find it interesting that an author would say that nothing we use, hear or touch can be described adequately in words. Isn't that the goal as a writer, to make the reader feel and experience a situation as if they were there? I know that as I am writing my first novel, I struggle to find the words to describe what I want to put down on paper, but I assumed that was one of the conditions of being a new writer. I think this is perfect advice for myself though; to look, taste, touch, smell and listen to the world all around me. I am often hurrying here, hurrying there, on my phone, thinking of all that I need to do that I don't often "stop to smell the roses" so to speak. I miss the sound of the bird in the tree, the smell of my morning coffee, the taste of my pizza for lunch, the touch of my loved one kissing me goodbye and the sight of my daughter walking into the room. Everyone could benefit from enjoying the day and noticing all the sights, smells, textures, tastes and sounds around us.


Read my words and see my quotes at
http://susanmarieschulhof.blogspot.com

Comments