Run towards the life that you want


     James Thurber was quoted as saying, "All men should strive to learn before they die, what they are running from, and to, and why?" Examining the meaning and nuances of my purpose has always been important to me. I have been on a path to learn about my life for as long as I can remember. Today's quotation makes me think about running in the literal sense, since as I get older, I am running less often and walking more, and I miss it.  I used to run to get away from stress and noise. It was my time away to relax and not have anyone impose their needs on me, at least for that short time. The other part of me ran for the health benefits and to clear my mind, as well. If I examine this quote and apply it to my life in a general term, it still applies. In my life, I opt to "run away from" negative people and situations and stress and turmoil. I desire to run towards health, peace, harmony and the pursuit of my dreams. Those answers are clear, but now for the why portion of his quote. The answer is not as simple. If I believe that I am here on earth to learn about myself and others, and that the way to learn is through interactions with others, then my "why" does not seem to connect with what I am running from. Can I embrace and learn from the negativity, stress and turmoil instead of running from it? I choose to run towards the life I want, but do I need to stay and learn and not just run from things that upset me?
 Read my words and see my quotes at

Comments