Give true and sincere praise


     "Listening, not imitation, may be the sincerest form of flattery," according to Dr. Joyce Brothers. How often have you heard a parent, a teacher, a spouse or a friend say to you or to someone else, "That looks great" or "You did a wonderful job on that" even when it is not true? My answer would probably be often since we are a society of praise. I am not against compliments, but is the assessment true or is it said to placate the person or to only make them feel good? As an Early Childhood Educator, I have read studies that say if you praise too often and for everything a child does, they will stop believing you or get a grandiose view of themselves and their abilities. It is also an age old joke that a spouse should just tell their wife that they look great in everything so they don't get into trouble. As Dr. Brothers states, I want someone to listen and to really look at what they are praising me for; I don't want to be appeased nor commended for something that is not good. I, myself, want the truth, said gently but honestly. True and sincere praise is what I give and what I hope to receive from others.

Read my words and see my quotes at
http://susanmarieschulhof.blogspot.com

Comments